Up date office space on a budget

It’s the little details that always make us smile and full us up with joy. Those little things are just what we each need in our lives, no matter how we find them, cherish them.

For me it was the little details I added in while cleaning out my office space for the new year.

I completely emptied my desk and everything on top and started fresh for the new year. I honestly think that’s the best way to clear clutter and get rid of the things you simply have no use for anymore. 
I don’t know about you but I can’t work, let alone think, in a messy area. Same goes for the kitchen too. So my goal this year is this: Simplify, organize and prioritize.

Simplicity was achieved when I cleared the desk of all clutter, next came organization. My main source of chaos is the papers that filter into this house daily. Papers from each child every day when they get home from school, the mail , which is mostly junk and papers from work. My kindergartener alone could fill a room with one weeks worth of papers, it’s insane. I sat down and made file folders for everyone and everything. PTO files, Little League, coupons,  a file for the company where I buy my cleaning and household supplies. There’s a hanging file for everything, even for the dogs.

 I’ve been wanting a space saving computer monitor stand for a while but just haven’t found one that is liked, so naturally I made one myself. I found these grey stackable storage drawers at a local Ollie’s store for $3 each! I originally had planned on cutting a piece of wood to lay across the top but I am old shelf board and it worked out perfectly! No sanding, staining or painting involved. If memory serves me correctly it was only around $7 for this shelf at Lowe’s. So let’s say a total of $13 for this computer monitor stand! And it has storage!





Back to the little details, I love this hashtag decor I scored on clearance at Target! Keeping the desk clutter free and just one or two decor pieces really helps give you a mess-free feeling. As much as I wanted to move my computer tower off my desk I just can’t, so I had to find a way to make it work. Keeping it Farmhouse style I placed a few objects up on top giving it some character but not over doing it. If you watched my $4.00 farmhouse Spring Wreath video or read that blog I had some scrap floral left over and talked about finding another use for them. Well here it is! I put the left over clippings in a old Irish whiskey bottle I found at a local thrift shop. The top is actually chipped but you can’t tell once the floral is in! Then I took a few books from my book shelf ( which is getting cleaned and organized next) and took the covers off so they looked plain and  show neutral colors. I stacked them next to the floral and put this adorable vintage lantern on top, which I also found at a thrift store! I just love the way this turned out






Next to my desk I have a hope chest to sit on and read (or play on my phone). Looking at it I thought it was missing something, indeed it was, pillows! I found some fabric I had stashed and made some pillows. I kept it neutral, although I did think about adding one with details and design but I didn’t have anything here at home. Next time I wonder into the craft store I’ll have to stroll down the fabric isles and see what I can find to match. I do think a smaller pillow with some detail or color would be perfect! Never the less, these 2 grey pillows still look great! 20 minutes total to make these and stuff them! 



when it comes to this little corner of the house it’s my space to work, think, imagine and create and I wonted it to feel cozy and welcoming. The wooden  “HOME” Sign above the bench came from Bon Tons right before they closed all their stores, I ended up paying $10 for it! It’s really quite big too! I had it in a few different places in my home and it never quite fit but this is where it’s meant to be! 
Its simple and rustic, just what I was looking for! 



One last thing I did to my office area was hang a big mirror above my desk. Like I mentioned my area is on the corner of our finished basement and can sometimes feel closed off. By adding the mirror it gave the room a brighter feel and it actually looks bigger! You can do this in just about any room. 

Now my area is complete and I can finally just sit down and work!


 No sorting or wasting time trying to clear my desk to clear my thoughts. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dollar Tree Shelf Liner Cricut Hack

DIY $6.00 HOME sign

Thrift Store Farmhouse Decor