Upcycle Project

 Thrift Store Microwave Stand




We moved into a new place with very minimal counter space and being a family of 6 this is quite the issue for us. So being the savvy mamma that I am I quickly found the cheapest way to maximize the space we we're working with. 

I searched all the second had stores in my local area. I would have loved to go yard sale hunting but I live in Erie PA and it was not the time of year for that. So naturally I did the next best thing and I went thrift store hopping. Starting with the well knowns like The Salvation Arm and Good Will, they were a bust. It didn't take me long at all to find this one pictured here for only $5.00! This is why I love the littler private owned shops. You always find the most unique things and at a great price! 


Here is my before picture of the microwave stand. It needed a very good cleaning first and for most. I knew there were a few options for me when it came to this transformation. I could paint it, of course. Quick and easy, I have zero extra time these days and I wanted to get this done as fast and cheap as possible. Don't we all? 



Now I just had some left over paint in my ridiculous crafting and project collection. So if you're like me this may just be an option for you. Bit if not then a small can a paint will do and you can purchase one for under $10.00. I could have kept the doors on but I had a basket I wanted to use to put potato's in and was really going for that farmhouse feel so the door came off. I easily could have installed new hardware and gave it a bran new look. When talking the doors off I also decided to remove that flimsy piece of board that was on the back of the stand. It was in pretty bad shape and needed to come off. Honestly it looks a lot better especially since I opted to remove the doors. 


I put 2 very good layers of paint on this stand. I knew it was going in my kitchen which is a high traffic room in my home and well you know.....kids. Enough said. Let this dry for at least 24 hours. Just to make sure the paint is dried completely. After it was all ready to go I put my microwave up top, a set of canisters for oats, noodles, rice and more. I had a shelf to put the toaster on and room at the bottom to put my basket (maybe 2)! 


I absolutely love the way this turned out and love the price tag! it really complements the aesthetic of the kitchen. Notice the Buffalo check curtains I made for the window! Curtains are so easy to make! Maybe I'll save that for another blog.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dollar Tree Shelf Liner Cricut Hack

DIY $6.00 HOME sign

Thrift Store Farmhouse Decor