DIY Farmhouse Ladder

Farmhouse style decor is everywhere right now! So it’s no surprise that I had to try and make a farmhouse ladder for my kitchen!


I decided to make this project one day when I was stuck inside due to 12+ inches of snow. I couldn’t run to the hardware store so I used what I had in my wood pile at home but this project can easily be made for $10 depending on how tall you’d like your ladder and how many steps.

The wood needed for this project is 2 different sizes. They are both 1 inch thick, just different widths. First you’ll need is 1 and a half inches wide, this piece will be the two outside pieces. My ladder is 51 inches tall but to make this easier if you’re buying I’d make it 48 inches. Just buy an 8 ft long piece and cut it in half. If you’d like it taller than 4 feet you’ll have to buy 2 pieces and cut them to your desired height.



The next piece of wood is two and a half inches wide, these are the pieces for the “steps”. Again, this is totally up to you as to how many you’d like on your ladder. If you have a desired spot you’d like
this to fit then measure and make them fit that area. If you’d like the simple way just buy a 6 ft piece and cut it into four 16 inch pieces (mine are 20 inches because this is what I had available)

Next line up the short boards and arrange them so they’re spaced evenly. The top and the bottom of the ladder should have a larger space than the “step” spaces. This will give it the appearance of a ladder and not just wood screwed together.

Once you have the wood all lined up mark where they’re at on the side pieces. Next mark a spot on each end of the “step” pieces where your screws will go. This is where you’re going to pre drill the holes. This is really thin wood and drilling that close to the end will cause your wood to crack and split. I personally hate pre drilling but it’s an extra step you must take. I have attempted many projects in a hurry and skipped pre drilling my wood and have regretted it every time.

To pre drill you’ll need a drill bit thats the same size or just a tad bit thinner than your screw. Make sure  your wood is on a sturdy table or work bench. If you have clamps use them. Take the 2 side pieces and pre drill a hole about 1 inch from the top. These holes can be optional depending on what your putting on your ladder. If you’re using light weight decor, like hanging a pretty wreath or hanging a blanket or frames than you could skip this. I’ll be hanging heavy fruit baskets and want to make sure the ladder is secure to the wall and won’t fall, especially with my kids running around.



Next grab the step pieces and drill through each end and place them back where they were on the 2 side boards.

Once you have them all lined up grab your screws and your drill and drill each one in place.



Next step will be to stain your wood or paint your wood. I struggled making a decision with this part. I wanted a dark weathers look but also wanted a white ladder. In the end I went with a stained dark wood because my pantry is white and I wanted it to stand out. If I had dark cabinets I would have went with white.

I let it dry and place it against the wall where you want it. I used a washer between my screw and board because the screw was too small for the hole that was already there. My side pieces are boards from my daughters old crib that I repurposed last year. Take a screw and screw the top of the ladder to the wall enough to secure it in place but not pull it flat to the wall. I stopped when it went in a bit.

I then found a few baskets I had laying around the house. I used some twine and tied each to the step above it. There are so many possibilities when it comes to decorating a ladder. I’d love to see yours! Comment a pic below if you tried this DIY yourself!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dollar Tree Shelf Liner Cricut Hack

DIY $6.00 HOME sign

Thrift Store Farmhouse Decor