DIY- R2D2 Valentines Day card box

This Valentine's Day my son picked r2d2 for his Valentine's Day box project.

Thinking of a way to make the top round I decided to do a paper mache for the dome of his head.

I was out of Elmer's glue so I decided to use some wood glue that I found in the back of a cubbord.
To get it to the right consistency I boiled some hot water and mixed in a little at a time until I had a good watery glue consistency.

I blow up a little balloon and placed it on the top of the oatmeal container box that would be the body of r2d2
I cut out strips of newspaper about one and a half inches wide
I took a paintbrush and made a layer of glue around the balloon in place the strip top of each other in X fashion
I kept doing this until the entire balloon was covered and continue to do about 2 more layers

Seeing as though I waited until the last day to do this I had to place it in front of the fan to dry but really you should do this 24 hours in advance.

Once it was dry I carefully remove the paper mache from the balloon and cut all the edges off so it was even

I then removed the wrapping from the oatmeal container.

Since the top of r2d2's head is a silverish chrome color I just use duct tape and I duct taped the bottom and then continue to do the same thing that I did to the paper mache making an X until the entire top was covered

I then cut out a slip in the top of his head so the Valentines cards can be placed inside.

I didn't use plain white printer paper to wrap the oatmeal container for the body.

Using some blue construction paper I cut out strips of blue and place them on the body and the dome in accordance with what we think r2 d2 looked like

And then took a paper towel roll and cut it in half and covered it with the white printer paper and use duct tape to adhere it to the sides of r2 d2's body

We were having a hard time getting him to stay and so we cut off the bottom part of his legs and made him a little shorter and used a piece of that to put in the front for the kickstand to help him stand straight

It was a bit of work but totally worth it because my son was super excited  with the way it turned out.
He couldn't wait to go to school to show all of his friends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dollar Tree Shelf Liner Cricut Hack

DIY $6.00 HOME sign

Thrift Store Farmhouse Decor